Earlier I mentioned a challenging book I was reading....Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker. WOW, what a book!! I feel like God totally interrupted the plans we had for our lives and made them align a little closer to His heart. It was encouraging and challenging to read Jen's book....to evaluate my life AGAIN. How am I living up the the Kingdom ideals that Jesus laid out again and again in the New Testament? Am I only reading the "feel good" passages? Am I applying the ones about orphans, widows, the "least of these"? Am I taking a stand for justice? True, Biblical justice. If you haven't read this book...you need to!!
So what would I read next but Jen's next book....7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, of course!?!
Oh wow! This is NOT a feel-good book either! It's a challenging look at STUFF in our lives. In this book, Jen challenges herself for 7 months in 7 different areas of her life: food, clothes, media, spending, waste, possessions, and stress. Through this fast God teaches her so many things, which she shares with us in her unique, funny, easy-to-read way.
Again, this book will challenge our American mindset. It provokes us to look at the rest of the world AND our lives as a whole through the lens of the Bible. It caused me to look hard at my life and what I consider important...what is "necessary" for me to be happy and fulfilled. How am I considering the needs of the world compared to my own wants?
I highly recommend both these books and am SO glad I read them!!
I will definitely read this book again (and am reading both of them to my kiddos!)
No comments:
Post a Comment