I *wish* I could properly describe the roads between Gulu and Kitgum.
Or the way people drive here in Uganda.
The roads are full of deep potholes. Sometimes you can't even tell how deep they are. During rainy season (which is now), much of the road is covered with thick mud (which either causes you to slide into oncoming cars, people, or off the road, or bogs your car down). Sometimes the road is non-existent....the gravel/asphalt/whatever they made the road with has just eroded away.
There are people walking (or footing, as it's called here) EVERYWHERE!! You can be "in the middle of nowhere" and there are still people walking!! Don't forget all the people driving their cars (there's not such thing as staying on your side of the road or only passing when the road is clear here). Oh, and the huge busses and Lawrys (18 wheelers) that own the road. They will NOT move over. The "funniest" thing is when you see a bus coming towards you and it's front end is pointing right and it's back end is pointing left (because something is messed up on its wheel base) but it's still driving very fast with WAY more people on it than should be allowed!
The fact that Scott makes it there and back safely each time is truly a blessing from the Lord.
During one of the last trips that Scott was gone, I went across the street to a locally owned store to buy a few things. While there I chatted with the store owner (of course!) and she told me about a robbery at her house (right behind her store) and of several other attempted robberies in our area.
Did I mention that Scott was in Kitgum at the time??
Well, he was.
But then I remembered that the God I serve is my Protector and my Deliverer.
I remembered the verses we have just finished memorizing:
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust." Psalm 91
So thankful for a God that has His angels watching over us!
No comments:
Post a Comment