Tuesday, May 1, 2012

His name is.....

I have written in the past about being able to visit the village of a man named Michael that I met and prayed for in the hospital. 


A small church has begun in his village and my friend Samuel and I continue to make weekly visits. Last Friday we were teaching Michael about the "Great Commission" and implementing it by going out to pray for his neighbors. I slyly snapped a picture of Samuel and Michael walking along the footpath because I was so humbled and thankful to get to do this, to take the Truth to those who have never heard it and to teach them to do the same. 




When we arrived back at Michael's home there was a gathering of ladies and a newborn baby. I asked the "ma-mah" (grandmother) the baby's name and she said they were waiting for me to come to give it a name. I was humbled at the honor of naming someone else's child and I tried to refuse. She said, "You have brought God to us, please give the baby a good name."


Without a thought, and trying not to sob like a newborn myself I said, "His name is Joshua, and it means God rescues." (I thought "YAHWEH is salvation" would be a bit much for them) The women began doing that scream AYE AYE AYE AYE thing they do and saying in Acholi, "The name is good."




We sang a quick worship song in Acholi and said our goodbyes and got on our motorcycles to head home. I hopped on my motorcycle and told Samuel to ride on ahead. I had put it off for as long as I could...I started to cry something awful, just made me miss my oldest son Joshua so much!

1 comment: