I'm not so great at math. I've never been so great at math. Ask my dad. I remember him getting so frustrated (and trying not to show it!) as he helped me with my Algebra homework. In fact, I think the main thing that worried him when I began homeschooling was the math (grin!).
So we began homeschooling with Math U See because of the video lessons. We liked Math U See. But when it came to Algebra with Katelyn and Josh, math wasn't so great. See, I had to understand the math in order to explain why they missed a problem. eek...
Enter Teaching Textbooks. My homeschooling life changed forever. Katelyn and Josh began to understand (and even enjoy) math (yes, even Algebra)! woo hoo!
What I love about TT is that if one of the kiddos misses a problem they have an option to view the solution...how to get the correct answer. We watch the lessons together and I have the ability to watch the solution to make sure we both understand why they missed the problem....then if they need further help, I actually understand what we're doing!
We now use Math U See until 3rd grade and then we switch to Teaching Textbooks. Math doesn't scare me anymore!!


I'm a fan of them from a former homeschool student's perspective. We also used Math-u-see.
ReplyDelete