Sunday, June 17, 2012

Blessings 365: Day 162: I'm not alone

Last week I was thinking and praying about something.  And then I realized, "I'm not alone.  Even though I'm here in Uganda and my family and so many of my friends are on the other side of the world....I'm not alone!!"  And so, just like I would pick up the phone in America and call a friend for advice, I'm asking for advice here on my blog!!


I want my children to grow up with a love for the Lord and a hunger for His Word.  I realize that I cannot CONTROL that....that it's ultimately up to the Lord...but I want to be faithful in what I CAN do to increase their appetite and desire for Him.


--as a side note, I just finished a great, easy-to-read-but-still-incredible book on this subject--


photo credit
But sometimes I don't know where to begin.  I open my Bible some mornings and just stare at it.  So how do I lead my children to have personal quiet times when their mom struggles with it??  (there are many other mornings that I have wonderful times with Jesus....but how do I pass that on to them, too?)


So my question is:  what do you recommend?  How do you lead/guide/help your children develop the habit of personal time with Jesus?  Any recommendations or suggestions??  I'm thinking specifically of my 12, 14 and 15 year olds!


Wanna hear (or read?) a cool, goosebump-giving story??  So I've been thinking about this post since last Sunday (our power has been out almost every day and our mac charger is broken, so we have to use a friend's when we can....so limited computer time for mommy!).....but I've been praying about it all week.


On Thursday we received a box from our church that was mailed on May 22.  In it was a book my mom bought for me (not knowing that I was having these thoughts...and also mailed 3 weeks ago).  
photo credit
I took the book out, flipped it over and read the top line on the back cover:  "If you struggle as a parent to read the Bible yourself, how can you pass a love for God's Word along to your children?"   When I read that I totally got goosebumps!  How cool is God?!?  That's just what I was praying about....and He was taking care of me, like always!!


Looking forward to reading the book AND getting suggestions from my friends!


Here is why I count...



2 comments:

  1. I love Precepts! I've heard a lot of good things about their kids and teen curriculum (transform student ministries). They even have Bible studies for the whole family, everyone studies the same topic but at age-appropriate levels. www.precept.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky! I'll definitely look into that! I've heard of Precepts, but haven't researched anything other than the women's studies!!

    ReplyDelete