Last week was a rough mommy week. Not that my kiddos were being bad....in fact, they knew I was having a hard week and worked extra hard at being kind and sweet to me! It was more of a "I'm not the mommy I want to be" kind of rough.
So I began to take a good hard look at my life to see what needed changing. I realized I have certain things I want my kids to love and to remember from living in our home...but I wasn't actually doing some of those things. I figured out that I wanted things to be "perfect" before I started something new.
Let me explain....
I want my kids to be readers. To love books. So I read out loud to them every night for around an hour. But I also need to schedule in silent reading time each day. I struggle with this...if I'm not home a couple of days and we miss out on that time, then I just "chuck" the whole thing. Why?? Why don't I just jump back in?
I want my kids to be thankful. Intentionally thankful. I get this idea about writing blessings on sticky notes....but I can't find sticky notes. Why not just write on something else...anything else?? The point is to be thankful!!
I want my kids to love Jesus and to have a personal walk with Him. So I read about other people's Bible times and they have so many great ideas. How to do them all? So I don't do anything!! WHAT?!?
This week I said NO MORE. I'm going to JUST DO IT!! It may not be perfect. It may evolve and change over time. But I'm starting! So we spend time each morning reading God's Word, a devotional book, working on our memory verse and praying together. Then I remind everyone to search for a blessing to talk about that evening. And that's it. For now. It may stay that way, or it may change....I don't know. And I missed today (Scott is sick, I hardly slept last night, and several of us felt yucky)....but we'll pick it up tomorrow.
What sort of things have you been putting off that you need to just jump in and start on??
No comments:
Post a Comment