Sunday, June 3, 2012

Blessings 365: Day 154: Runaway mommy days

Yesterday I texted my friend, "I'm having a runaway mommy kind of day."  Later I ran into her in town and said, "Hey did you get my text about my day?"  She said, "Yeah, I was gonna text back and ask details because that sounds like fun!"

Nope, not a FUN kind of runaway mommy day.  It was the kind of day that makes a mom feel like running away.  The kind of day where Satan is pulling out all the stops...."look at this house, it's so messy, it's never clean....your kids are behind in math, you're a bad homeschooler....your days are all the same, no wonder your kids are bored....blah blah blah....I really could go on and on because he was hitting me hard about EVERY area of my life (especially the areas I feel like I'm failing in!)

So how can that kind of day be a blessing??
How do you find a blessing a runaway mommy kind of day?

Well, I'm honestly still struggling with the answer to that question, because today hasn't been the best day ever.  But I know the secret to joy is to find the blessing.

I reached a point yesterday where God brought the following Scripture to my mind:
2 Cor. 10:5
...casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ...

And I knew it was time to take my thoughts captive instead of letting them continue to pull me down.

So I looked around and saw those kiddos that I love....


Nate and Garrett playing a game.

Annie playing Little People.

Melissa reading a book.

Benji playing the piano.
I saw Laura playing "Draw Something" on my phone...sending her picture to her big sister in America (but I couldn't take a picture of it because she had my phone!!  lol)

I realized the blessing in a runaway mommy is still that I'm a mommy.  Yep, the house is messy....but we LIVE here!!  all day!  every day!  Ok, ok, so we're behind in math....but that happens when you move 5 times in 3 years (with one move being to another continent) AND go to missionary training school for 6 months; besides, the kids are working diligently every day and will be caught up soon!  Yep, our days are pretty much the same....but we do have fun swim dates with friends, we grab coffee, or go to the market.  

I can focus on the good or focus on the blah.  
So much about the quality of my day depends on my focus!
Taking my thoughts captive.....

No comments:

Post a Comment