Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blessings 365: Day 89: Spur one another on toward love and good deeds

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds....
Hebrews 10:24


Last Thursday a friend and I had to sit down and have a chat with 2 of our Ugandan sisters in Christ.  These women were squabbling and arguing over petty things....but both wanted it to end.  They both wanted to get together and talk things out.  

Before we began to talk, we prayed and my friend read from Ephesians 4.  It was so powerful (this section "hits" me every time I read it) that I want to post it here:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Ephesians 4:30-32

(She actually read verses 20-32...)

It's a powerful, beautiful, "right" thing....to be a part of Christian accountability.  In our talk I was convicted of a few things that I need to improve on - I need to be a better listener for one thing!

But the whole process, while I'm not super comfortable with confrontation, was what the Bible tells us to do.  To hold one another accountable.  To be willing to say, "wait a minute, that's not quite right."  And to walk beside a sister in Christ...pointing her towards Jesus in her actions and thoughts.

I'm very thankful for my friend here who walked with me through the meeting and who has been able to encourage me and give me guidance in some of these new areas of ministry!!


No comments:

Post a Comment