Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The squatty potty

Well, I guess it's time that I can post this. Our water is out...again! I didn't feel "right" posting it when we had running water...but now I can. Don't ask me why...I just couldn't! Our water goes out about twice a month. Actually, Scott says it probably goes out every week....we just have a reserve tank and we don't realize the water's out. But twice a month (or so) we run out of water in the reserve tank. It's been out for 2 days, 3 days, and then 5 days. I guess we'll see how long it's out this time.

When the water's out we get to go potty in the squatty potty. It's not as bad as it seems...but it's not exactly FUN either!

Here's a view from the outside

And from the inside.

In case you're wondering....NO, it's not easy to make it in the hole (for boys or girls!)! Scott is very good to us though and lets us go inside at night. We just pour water from a jerry can into the toilet in the morning to flush it.

The first time our water went out Scott wanted us to go to the squatty during the night. I begged him to please let us go in the house....I couldn't bear the thought of going out there at night. He conceded and said we could go in the house at night. He went out to the squatty the first night and came back in and said, "Ok, you were right about going inside at night." Apparently there were hundreds of roaches all over the squatty. eek!!!

What is a jerry can? It's a plastic water jug with a lid. They are usually yellow or green. Most people here use them to carry water to their houses or keep them filled for times like this when the water is out.

We were talking last time the water was out for 5 days...and we realized that MOST people around us don't have running water. Period. Ever. It really gave us a new appreciation for what their lives are like. It also helped us to appreciate things we take for granted so easily...like running water and electricity. Or having enough food to eat. Or having a blanket to keep us warm at night. I could go on and on....but I think you get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment