a post by Scott
For the privileged among you that know me personally you know that my sense of humor tends to crossover to the sarcastic side. Also you may have noticed that I tend to say things that may lead you to believe that I am a bit of a male chauvenist. Things like the three greatest advances in communication are...1) telegraph 2) telephone 3) telewoman. Or maybe how many men does it take to mop a floor? None, its a woman's job. Or maybe, How many men does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None, let her cook in the dark. I blame all of this on my environment. I was raised in a male dominated society. However, do you know why women have smaller feet than men? It's so they can stand closer to the sink when they are doing the dishes.
When I was in 8th grade I went to Woodrow Wilson Junior High and played baseball. As I remember it, I was somewhere between the talent of Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle - but I could be wrong. Our baseball team was pretty good; some of the guys went on to play pro and semi-pro ball and one, Keith Johnson, currently manages a AAA team for the Angels. Well, some idiot thought it would be a good idea as an end of the year party for the boys' baseball team to play the girls' softball team. Hah! great we have to play a bunch of girls. This ought to be a riot, maybe we should go easy on them. Then something terrible happened, her name was Jolayne Thompson. Jolayne was the star pitcher for the girls' softball team. She was as sweet as could be but pitched like Satan himself. I could NOT hit anything she threw. I think El Nino was bad that year and she must have had the wind at her back, but a lot of us hit nothing but air that day.
Without question we live in a male dominated society. Men making more money than women for doing the same jobs. The number of male CEO's to women etc. I understand that God created men and women differently. Men were created as leaders, hunters, and gatherers. While women were created to be nurturers and supporters. Heck, we men were the early explorers that set foot first on new worlds, we went into space, we landed on the moon. We invent stuff, we lead armies into battle, we run faster, jump higher, and farther than women (well not me personally, but, you know). In fact, when it came time for Jesus to pick twelve disciples he picked men!! We're #1! We're#1!
Well, now I have gone back to that feeling that I had in 8th grade. Something has happened to my male "egoness." Since we moved to Uganda my explorer side has shone itself. When I first got here I took a boda boda (motorcycle taxi) just about everwhere; then I bought my own little motorcycle and in three weeks I have gone just under 1000 kilometers (621 miles). I love to just explore and see as much of Kampala and surrounding areas as I can, meeting as many people as I can along the way. Being a white guy in Africa I kinda stand out, maybe it's the accent I'm not sure. And when I see other Mzungus (thats what we're called here) I strike up a conversation and ask where they are from, what kind of work they are doing, what's your sign?, do you come here often? all of the great pick up lines. Then I realized something, most of the mzungus I see are single WOMEN. I have met about 20 or so other Americans, Canadians, and some Europeans. There have been two married couples and one single guy (Brad Lang, that's you) but all of the others are single women!! girls! young women in their 20's that have listened to God's call and moved to a foreign county on a different continent. Now, as a strong man with great fighting abililties, somewhere between a cage fighter and a ninja, there are times that I get a little nervous living here. These girls seem to have no fear, being confident in the Lord's protection as they are following Him.
These women have founded schools (and continue to run them) - providing education and hope for hundreds of children. They run feeding programs and Bible story times - feeding the bodies and souls of thousands. They live in the slums - rescuing street children giving them a place to call home and adopting them into part of a family. They bring medical care to those who can't afford it - not fearing the stigma of HIV/AIDS.
Please don't email me that you have a brother, son, nephew, cousin or paperboy that is serving somewhere in this same way. I am not saying there aren't any single guys serving as missionaries. I tried to look up stats on percentages of men vs. women on the mission field - no luck. I am only sharing what I have seen. What's going on guys? What else are you preoccupied with that's keeping you from going? Walk away from the play station, get the ipod earbuds out of your ears and listen. He has called you as well:
'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matt. 25:35-40)
I WAS that single man! (applause and cheering)
ReplyDeleteIt is very true. Men just have a harder time learning to follow I guess.
ReplyDelete