**Sorry it's been a while since I posted. Our power has been coming and going since the weekend and that makes it very hard to charge computers. Since I have pictures on one computer (so we can re-size them) and I write posts on another computer...I've had a hard time coordinating which computer is charged! lol!) Hopefully I'll be more consistent....but no promises! :)
**Scroll down to see pictures I added of the concrete slab Scott helped pour...also the tent which will be an assembly area for the children!
Monday through Thursday of our first full week here we had holiday program at Vision of Destiny LTD. The holiday runs from Dec. 3 until Jan. 30. This is “summer break” in Kampala. When school started again on Jan. 31 all the kids moved up a grade level. During the holiday Cari has a program for older students in the community (the school is only for Kindergarten and younger). In the program the kids play sports, sing, and learn about the Bible.
On Monday and Tuesday we had all the kids together. We spent half the morning playing sports, had a break where everyone had water and snacks, and then had a time of music. Monday was kind of a learning day for us. We had not been a part of the holiday program so far (obviously!)....so we spent the day learning kids’ names and how the program operated. Tuesday was much better because we knew what to expect. :)
Wednesday and Thursday we split the kids into 3 groups, divided by age level. On Wednesday Laura and I taught music, Charles (he works at Vision of Destiny) and Benji led sports, and Courtney and Melissa taught Bible. We sang all the Bible Action Songs that I knew!! We even taught them 2 new songs....Lord I lift Your Name on High and My God is So Big. Both have fun hand motions that they all liked doing.
Thursday we taught sports. That ended up involving more than just Laura and me (although Laura came up with the games we played). Scott, Benji, Courtney, and Melissa ended up all helping out (with a couple of the groups being combined). We played dodgeball and set up an obstacle course (Scott timed the kids to see who could be fastest). One girl told us the obstacle course was her favorite thing of all the holiday program. I was excited to tell Laura that....because it had been her idea!
Speaking of Scott, you may be wondering what he was doing during the week of holiday program? He, Tata Kevin (the father of Kevin), and a few other men worked SO hard. They poured concrete for an assembly area for the children.


It was really fun getting to know some of the older kids in the community. The next week they all came to pick up their school supplies (most of the kids we met are sponsored through Cari’s program to attend primary and secondary school here in Kampala). They came running up to hug us and chat for a little bit while they waited in line to get supplies. It was fun knowing their names and being able to spend a little bit of time with them before school started.
The holiday program stopped on Thursday. Friday the inspector was supposed to come (she does that occasionally to make sure all the rules and guidelines are being followed)....but she didn’t come until a week later! The last week of holiday there was no holiday program because (1) the teachers had work week at the school and (2) Cari wanted the kids to have time at home with their families before they started back to school.
Tomorrow I’ll tell you about teacher work week!

No comments:
Post a Comment