shop started four years ago by John and Jamie Zumwalt, the founders of HGM. Joe’s is located in the town of Valley Brook, a small city zoned off within OKC that is home to numerous drug addicts, ex-convicts and full-nudity strip clubs. The Zumwalts started the coffee shop, nestled in between several strip clubs, to build relationships with everyone who comes in and share the love of Jesus. Joe’s is more about relationships than coffee! We have heard many heart wrenching stories about broken people who are finding hope, and we are seeing the incredible transformation that occurs in a whole community when the Kingdom Jesus is present through the lives of some of its residents.So what do 6 children ages 4-13 do for 5 hours at a coffee shop? They play, talk to people, color, and even watch TV. And, of course, they play skip-bo!! It's really cute because the little ones have become the Joe's greeters. Anytime someone comes in they holler out, "hello!" And by the person leaves, they know their name and will yell, "Bye, Mr. Raymond!" or "Bye, Mr. Mike!"
Nate chilling on the couch reading a magazine.
And what do Scott and I do at Joe's? We play skip-bo, of course! We sit on the couch talking and visiting with people. And we make coffee, sandwiches and other drinks. Now, keep in mind that Scott has never even tasted coffee....but he can make a mean espresso!! lol!! I was actually quite nervous about making drinks until last Friday when I made several....frozen Mocha, smoothie, iced Chai....I'm feeling a little better now. Maybe someday I'll post more pictures of Scott and me.
Katelyn comes with us on Fridays...we always like to hang out with her! When needed, she paints on the front window. This is a picture of her painting signs for a live band that played on Friday night.
So, that pretty much sums up what we do all week! Classes and ministry. We are learning a LOT!! Hopefully some of my next posts will describe more about what we're learning in our classes. I have so many posts swimming around in my head...things I want to share and things I want to remember. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about what we're doing.
this is awesome :) I'm praising God for what he's doing through you guys. you're going to where the need is! miss you guys.
ReplyDelete