God is so good. We were frantically packing our moving truck on Thursday, July 1 in an attempt to leave by lunch time. My wise hubby said, "Let's wait. We don't HAVE to be there today. We're gonna get there around 7:00 or 7:30...we won't know if the office will still be open (it wouldn't have been!). We have no idea where we're going. Let's just wait." And in my ever-submissive way I agreed. I am soooo glad we waited!! We had a relaxing afternoon, Katelyn and I went to eat at Chang's, and we finished packing without killing ourselves.
So Friday morning we got on the road around 9:00. It was still crazy those last few minutes of realizing things we were leaving (isn't it always a little crazy in those last few minutes?!?). We were having a nice drive up there and Scott realized that we needed to make sure our apartment had electricity turned on before we got there (again, wise man!!). So he called our landlord and she said, "Who are you? I don't have any apartments ready." Now, mind you, I'd talked to her at least 4 times during the week. Oh dear!!! So I called and she said, "Oh yes, I have an apartment ready for you. Your husband just called." What?!? Oh well....she DID have our apartment ready, so all was fine!
We pulled in to our apartment complex around 2:30 or 3:00. This is what our kids saw as they waited for us to sign our lease papers:
You have to factor in the scary-ish looking people milling around...all looking at the new people with all the kids who are moving in. Add to that the newness of it all and the realization that we really are "doing this" and it was a little overwhelming to our children. We came out from signing the papers (they had been with Katelyn) and everyone started crying. We stopped right then and talked and prayed. We reminded them that we are in the center of God's will. That He's called us and He's protecting us. We talked about the people around us who need Jesus. I think it helps that our children feel "called" too, they're not just "along for the ride" with their parents. Ok, technically, I think Nate, Annie and Garrett are along for the ride....but they're loving it! Ü
So we drove around the building looking for our building. Here's a few more pictures of our apartment complex:
This is where we park. Our kitchen window is the thin one on the right. We park the car, open the window, and unload our groceries! Yep, that's a wall ac unit you see...more about that shortly!
We went in to our apartment and we were pleasantly surprised!! They had just put new carpet in...a very nice touch!! So I'm not worried when my kiddos play (or sleep!) on the floor! Here's a view from our front door:
Speaking of our little kitchen...here it is. It's pretty funny because you can't open the dishwasher and the fridge at the same time. And the appliances are so close together that when you open the oven door it pops the refrigerator door open! lol!!
So we're in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment. Really that works ok with us. It's a little tricky in the morning when everyone has to "go" -- but we're figuring out a system.
Here's our bathroom. It has a little dividing wall between the sink and the potty so TECHNICALLY someone can potty while someone brushes their teeth (although we've hung a mirror over our kitchen sink for people to do contacts, brush teeth, apply make-up and brush hair).
Here's the kids' room. We are so thankful for how big it is. We imagined a room where you kind of walked sideways to get between the beds....but in reality there's about 6 feet of "play room." Also a very big closet! Again, God is good!!
And finally, the master bedroom and closet. As you can see we have plenty of room to walk around our king size mattress (something else I didn't think we'd be able to do)!!
And, for the grand finale.....our air conditioning unit. This is actually pretty effective...but pretty funny looking. Our apartment stays quite cool! I'll let ya know what our first electric bill is like!
So, I guess that's it. Tomorrow I'll post more about what our days look like. Basically, it's classes in the morning and ministry in the afternoon. Each day I'll post a little about what kind of ministry we're doing on that particular day.
Thanks for praying for us and for supporting us. Prayer requests would be: relying on God daily, strength to do all that each day requires, and patience with each other. If you'd like to support us financially that would be GREAT. You can find out how by looking at the top left side of this blog!
More tomorrow....
Love all the detail...and your good humor! That's so like you. It DOES seem like you've been gone for much longer than a week and a few days!! Oh! Tim F. stopped us at church yesterday and asked how they could send a donation. They were unsure what to do. I gave them the Every Nation website address and told them what to do. So, yay!
ReplyDeleteSo neat to see your new adventures! I noticed another gift God gave y'all on your apartment pictures: BEAUTIFUL blue skies! Moving in the rain is never fun.
ReplyDeleteLifting you up!
Hey Lori~
ReplyDeleteThanks for passing that info on to Tim. That's so exciting! Also, at the top of the blog I have info about how to give....if it's easier to give my blog address. Thanks for being our "go to" person in Little Rock.
Hi LoriAnn~
You are so right about the beautiful blue skies in OK. The day we moved in was perfect. It was 84 degrees, cloudy, with a slight breeze. Yes, we were hot....but reminded my kiddos that it COULD have been 100 degrees with blazing hot sun!!
Actually, it's rained almost every day here, though. It's been kind of funny! We got stuck in the flash flooding on Tuesday, July 6. That sounds like a good blog post....more later! Ü
This tiny little apartment is preparing you for Uganda living! Especially if you come up North. We, as a family of 14, live in a tiny house {1400 sq feet} and yet it is perfect!
ReplyDeleteI *so* agree with you, Summer. I LOVE living in a small house. I told Scott (hubby) that if I have my way we'll never live in more than 1400 sq. ft. again!!
ReplyDelete