Monday, March 15, 2010

More about food


So we watched Food, Inc. last night. Oh my goodness. It has been said that if you want your life to remain unchanged don't go to Perspectives. Well, if you want to keep eating the same way you always have...don't watch Food, Inc. I don't see how someone could watch that movie and still buy meat at Walmart.
Honestly, there was so much information in the movie that I'm going to have to watch it again. This time, with Scott.
The movie talks about GMO's, too. It's amazing to realize that only a few companies control ALL our food. They also have "their people" in Washington ensuring that their agenda gets taken care of. You notice that there's no labeling of GMO foods, right? Well, there's a reason for that.
So, what now? Well, I can't continue to feed my family processed food. Yucky meat and chicken. I just can't. You know it's weird...I realize that I've thought of food as just food...not as nutrition. Not as affecting every cell of their bodies. Affecting their future life. It's a big responsibility. What we feed our children (and ourselves) DOES matter.

5 comments:

  1. Tamara just watched my copy of Food, Inc. and said, "You've ruined me!" I *might* have found a source for cheaper, fresher raw milk - although it's 1.5 hours away. Do you think we could hire Caitlyn to make a milk run? The farmer also has chickens, eggs and pork. Let's talk soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...Julie! Great idea! We could all pitch in a bit to pay for her time and gas. That'd be awesome!! Until July, of course. :( I'm thinking of buying a $17 pastured chicken this weekend. (That's down from $20.) Hurts. the. budget. In the meantime, we've been eating FREE deer meat provided by my friend Gus from back home.

    You're right, Kelly. It's a HUGE responsibility, and it weighs pretty heavily on my shoulders these days. I know FAR too much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie~
    How much will the milk be? We can definitely talk about Katelyn being our milkladyÜ

    Lori~
    Where are you getting your chicken from? Is it just 1 chicken?

    I'd love to talk more with both of you about where to get healthy local food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.littlerock.locallygrown.net/

    This is where I've been ordering our food from lately. It's all from Arkansas and the meat is grass fed with no hormones or other additives. Some of my favorite things are brown eggs from Holland Farms and the meat, of course. You order weekly and pick it up in downtown LR on Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We rented that movie just a few weeks ago! Very interesting. Paul's been learning a lot about sustainable agriculture, hoping to take what we learn back to the farmers where we live in a way that'll be beneficial to them!

    ReplyDelete