Friday, June 17, 2011

Operation Chicken

Several weeks ago our neighbors got a chicken. Yes, a live chicken. It sat over in their part of the courtyard most of the day. Kind of a sad sight actually....it had its feet tied up, leaned up against the wall...waiting to die.

Well, the kids talked about it (and to it) all day...thinking it was a new pet. Of course, I knew what was going to happen to it...but they didn't really get it.

Late afternoon I heard the "alarm" that they chicken was about to be killed. The boys were SO excited...but I knew it would be too much for Annie (she's quite the sensitive type)... so inside we went. Here's some pics of the other kids watching THE EVENT:

Yes, even Laura got in on all the excitement. She *was* a little grossed out though. Poor Benji was gone with Scott and missed it all. :( And Melissa? She was home...but definitely stayed inside! She's become a vegetarian since moving to Uganda (well, we all have...especially after Scott's e.coli incident. Don't know about that? I'll save that story for another post!!)


Even Garrett had his moments of being overwhelmed with the blood. They watched the WHOLE thing...from slaughter, to plucking, to gutting. Whew. Not mama...I came outside a few times and quickly went in to "check on Annie."


So what was Annie doing? Happily playing a ds game!! The next day our neighbors brought over some of the chicken to share with us. Annie took one look at it (after they had gone back home), held her hand up like a stop sign and said, "uh uh, NO WAY am I eating that." haha! Fun new things in Uganda!

5 comments:

  1. That's probably the freshest meat ever! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless their little hearts for sticking with that gruesome ordeal! Tell Melissa I'm sending her some protein in a can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brings back memories! I was Annie and stayed as far away as possible. My dad once ran up to me and carried me the far way home from the neighboring compound as he realized they were butchering a goat on my normal path home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we got to experience this in the village...plus a goat, a mumut, and a CAT. The goat was by far the most gorey. You rock Rackleys! Love you xo

    ReplyDelete