Wednesday, June 29, 2011

McDonalds anyone?

So what do you do when you wake up in the morning to hungry children and there's no milk and the power is off? Well, I'll tell you what you DON'T do: head to McDonalds!! {grin} There's no McDonalds around here...anywhere!! So a mom does the next best thing! She finds Ugandan takeout:


I walk up to the local market and buy a liter (spelled litre here in Uganda) of apple juice and 3 rolex. NOPE not the watch!! This tasty treat is called a rolex. It's a chapati (kind of like a tortilla) with eggs inside. The eggs have onion and a little salt. It is very yummy! In fact, I've learned how to make the egg portion at home...so now we just buy the chapatis. Technically, we could make those, too...but we really like the ones made up at our market!!

Oh yes, total cost? 7,000 shillings....or $3.50!!! Not too bad to feed 6 kiddos! And healthy too!!

You may be wondering, "What about breakfast cereal?" Most cereals are around $8-10/box...so that's not really an option!! Most mornings we have toast, pancakes, waffles, eggs, yogurt, donuts (nothing like Krispy Kreme...they aren't very sweet at all, but we all love them now!), etc. ALWAYS with chocolate milk!! THANKS again to everyone who sent us Hersheys syrup (the kind pictured here is made by American Garden and it's about $6/bottle)!!


So that's breakfast here in Uganda!! Most important meal of the day!! {smile}

4 comments:

  1. Those chapati's sound delicious - and the price is right, too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So chocolate syrup IS good for something!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would take that over Mcdonalds anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herman's been holding out on me - I didn't know he sent milk to Uganda. :)

    ReplyDelete