I saw a woman, heavy with child, carrying a basket of bananas on her head.
I saw a man straining to push a bicycle laden with sugar cane up a steep hill.
I saw a family of 7 living in a one room concrete house.
I saw 4 children running too close to the busy road. No one was watching them.
I saw a lady squatting to use the restroom...right in public. Stripped of dignity.
I saw an old man with gray hair. Only the 2nd old person I've seen since we moved here.
I saw a man pushing the wooden wheelbarrow full of watermelons and pineapples. Trying to provide for his family at home.
I saw 3 women laughing and chatting outside the tailoring shop.
I saw cows holding up traffic as they crossed the street.
I saw children playing with a crushed water bottle. Pushing it with a stick for fun.
I saw men running beside cars selling everything: jumper cables, pruning shears, sunglasses, newspapers, bags of beans, inflatable swimming pools, brooms, belts, purses, toys, everything. Working hard every day. All day.
I saw the woman sitting on the side of the road looking lost and alone.
I saw a little girl wearing purple crocs. Nothing else.
I saw a woman dressed in beautiful clothes, walking with her children to church.
I saw trash everywhere. Everywhere.
I saw 2 ladies, their children with them, struggling to keep a small store open. One had her head in her hands and the other was sleeping, leaned up against the counter.
I saw a little boy smile at me and wave, "Hi, mzungu."
I looked and I saw poverty. I saw hopelessness. I saw despair. But I also saw life. And determination. And strength. I saw people that need Jesus.
I looked and I saw. I pray that I will see life here through Jesus' eyes. He loves these people. He died for them. He sent us here to bring them His love and His hope. I don't have any idea what to do about the things I saw yesterday. But I saw. I am changing. I want to love like Jesus loves.
Good word, thank you
ReplyDeleteYour best post EVER!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you!