Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ropes Course

Two weeks ago all the Boot Campers went to the ropes course. You know what ropes courses are there for, right?!? Some say they're for fun....but not me. Supposedly, they work on team building and trust. I wasn't really looking forward to the ropes course. I don't really like things like that...faith jumping, climbing up high, etc. But doing the ropes course turned out to be kind of okay.

When we first got there we played some team building games. We had to pass a hula hoop all the way around our circle without letting go of hands. Then we had to pass 2 at the same time, going in opposite directions. We really had to work together and communicate. Also, you had to not "panic" when the hoop came to you...and when you were the one that had to do the crossover of the 2 hoops. I think this game also worked on encouraging each other.


Next we divided into 2 groups and played a game where each group stood on 1 of 3 platforms and we had to all get to the other platform and then to the other group's platform. You know how those games go, lots of rules that force you to stay together and work as a team. It definitely worked! We worked together as teams and as a group to get everyone around to all the platforms. It was a lot of fun...but we also saw the importance of working together and realizing each others strengths and weaknesses and working with them.





The next game was that we chose a team leader...Scott. Then the rest of us had to be blind folded. Scott had to instruct us in taking 24 swimming pool noodles and making them form a double cube. He did an awesome job. He was clear in his instructions and very encouraging to us all. The instructors said we did it faster than any other team they had ever worked with and that we worked GREAT as a team. That was lots of fun!!





The final game was a trust building game. One person laid in a "blanket" and the others threw them up in the air. The team had to work on working together and the person being thrown worked on trust. Although sometimes being on the ground was working on trust!! When the team threw Nate up, I just knew he was going to break his neck coming down!! You'll see a picture below! I learned that I do NOT like being thrown up in the air. Others in the group got thrown 3 times in one turn...and some of the kids had 2 turns. Not me. They threw me once and I was done. Ü




Next came the rock climbing wall. Laura was the first one up and she made it to the top!! woo hoo!! I was so proud of her! Next came Benji and up he went! After a few other people Melissa decided to go. She had said that she wasn't going to participate in any of the activities, so she wasn't dressed for the occasion. But she ended up doing everything! Good job, girlie! She even climbed the wall in her Toms! Not an easy thing to do!! But she made it to the top. Several others made it to the top as well...but others of us just tried. Ü




The final activity was the zip line. I was not prepared for my reaction to this one. Fear. Fear. Fear. I started to climb up to the platform and just couldn't. I couldn't make my body climb. It had already been made clear that we didn't HAVE to do anything we didn't want to, so I decided I wasn't going to do the zip line. But as I sat and watched everyone else do it (including my middle kiddos) I knew that I had to beat this fear. So while everyone else was helping a group down I started climbing the ladder. I kept saying, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." And I just kept climbing. I made it to the platform and felt such relief. Then the others realized what I'd done and cheered for me. I kind of felt like a woman does when she's pregnant....well, I'm up here, now I've GOT to go down. All was good until the instructor started explaining how we were going to jump off. I was overwhelmed with fear (even had a few tears in my eyes)....but I closed my eyes and jumped! WHEE....Jesus helped me overcome my fear!! Now, don't get me wrong--I have NO desire to EVER do that again!! Ü But that's ok, because fear didn't win!!

So what did the kids do while all day?

Watched us climb the rock wall

Took turns on the blanket :) (Look at Scott's face)


And just got to run around :)

No comments:

Post a Comment